Toby’s Friendship Raid is the second Story Operation Gearbox released post-launch to add new content to their game Battleborn. This story operation takes place on a spaceship that is flying through the Detritus Rings at near light speed. The evil LLC villain named Thaddeus Wishingbone stole Toby’s mech and is mass producing berg.
Toby’s Friendship Raid is released on November 10th 2016. All five of the upcoming Story Operations are included in the Season Pass and Digital Deluxe editions of Battleborn. If you’re not already on-board for the DLC, each Story Op is $4.99 USD and can be purchased individually for 700 Platinum in the in-game Marketplace.
- 8 titles
- 2 more skins for each of the current 30 heroes, up to 60 new skins
- 3 new taunts
- 6 new Legendary Gear pieces
- Faction Commander Packs each time you hit max score
The story operation Toby’s Friendship Raid is set up for replayability and rewarding you for doing so. Because this mission contains a lot of unlockables you can acquire by playing this mission over and over again with different heroes.
- Commander Loot Packs
Commander Loot Packs
The first time you reach 60 OPS points with a hero you get a Commander Pack from the faction of the hero of your choice. This happens 1 time for each of the factions. But if you are able to get 100 OPS points and finish the mission you also get a Faction Commander Pack corresponding to the faction of your hero. Fun fact: this 100 OPS points reward is repeatable, so every time you complete the story operation with 100 OPS points you will get that Faction Commander Pack.
Eldrid Commander Pack
- Gain 60+ OPS Points as an Eldrid Battleborn (one time reward)
- Gain 100 OPS Points as an Eldrid Battleborn (repeatable)
Jennerit Commander Pack
- Gain 60+ OPS Points as a Jennerit Battleborn (one time reward)
- Gain 100 OPS Points as a Jennerit Battleborn (repeatable)
LLC Commander Pack
- Gain 60+ OPS Points as an LLC Battleborn (one time reward)
- Gain 100 OPS Points as an LLC Battleborn (repeatable)
Rogue Commander Pack
- Gain 60+ OPS Points as a Rogue Battleborn (one time reward)
- Gain 100 OPS Points as a Rogue Battleborn (repeatable)
UPR Commander Pack
- Gain 60+ OPS Points as a Peacekeeper Battleborn (one time reward)
- Gain 100 OPS Points as a Peacekeeper Battleborn (repeatable)
Toby’s Friendship Raid is packed with skins each hero will be getting 2 new skins which are obtainable by completing the story operation with 40+ or 85+ OPS points. While these are classified as tier 1 skins these are some really good recolors.
- 40+ OPS Points is a Red and Black colored skin.
- 85+ OPS Points is a Gold and Black colored skin with Red highlights.
There are also a few new taunts that can be unlocked in Toby’s Friendship Raid.
- Toby – Vengeance is Mine – Gain 25+ OPS Points playing as Toby.
- Toby – Maximum Thrust – Gain 50+ OPS Points playing as Toby.
- Toby – Rage Enrage – Gain 75+ OPS Points playing as Toby.
- Crazy For You – Complete the Operation “Toby’s Friendship Raid” as Orendi.
- Defender of Detritus – Complete the Operation “Toby’s Friendship Raid” with 100 Operation points.
- Penguin Master – Complete the Operation “Toby’s Friendship Raid” with 50 Operation points.
- Rogue Raider – Complete the Operation “Toby’s Friendship Raid” with 25 Operation points.
- Seal of Approval – Complete the Operation “Toby’s Friendship Raid” 10 times.
- The Power of Friendship – Play the Operation “Toby’s Friendship Raid” once each as ISIC, Pendles, and Reyna.
- Twice as Nice – Complete “Toby’s Friendship Raid” as Toby (or while on the same team as Toby).
With this new DLC Gearbox also added some new Legendary Gear to the game. Aria’s Encore can be farmed at the final boss of this story operation. The other legendary gear is also added to the general loot pool and can be obtained through gear packs. These new legendary items bring an interesting new mechanic with them. You can find my thoughts about this in the Aria’s Legendary Changing the Gear System Article.
This boss fight is all about keeping an eye out on your surroundings. Thaddeus Wishingbone will engage you from one of Toby’s mech suits. Therefore he will have somewhat of the same attacks you come to expect from an enemy Toby player in the PvP Multiplayer.
Thaddeus Wishingbone will start by dropping a shield forcing you to go around it in order to attack him. After he loses some health Thaddeus will go into hiding. During this segment, a few enemies will spawn and will start to attack you. After defeating them Thaddeus will return and will drop that shield once again before he starts to attack you. During this encounter, canons will be shooting out rings that will damage you. Look at the pattern as these rings can come from all directions. There are a few safe spots on the outer side of the arena, but you can also use the box in the center of the arena as a cover. Every time Thaddeus leaves the scene the difficulty in enemies will ramp up, also the amount of OPS points will determine the difficulty of the enemies. While minions can be ignored for some time, do take out the harder enemies especially the ronin as they will slice you up. Good Luck
Raison Varner who is a Sound Designer / Composer at Gearbox Software did the awesome music for Toby’s Friendship Raid. Raison also did the music for the Battleborn Multiplayer maps and also did some great stuff for the Borderlands franchise. If you like his work let him know by dropping a line at his twitter.