In the base game, Borderlands 2, started with 4 playable characters. Later on as post-launch downloadable content (dlc) Gearbox Software added 2 new playable characters. Each playable character in Borderlands is called a Vault Hunter. Every one of them has a unique action skill which provides them with a special ability that you can use during your battles. During these encounters, you will gain experience points (XP) which allow you to level up. Each time you level up you will become stronger. Once you reached level 5 you are granted access to your action skill. Beyond this level you can further enhance your character by selecting skills from the 3 skill trees that each hero has. This way you can boost your character or the action skill. There are also ‘game-changers’ that will augment your action skill. These will provide you with new abilities and play styles.
- Axton – The Commando
- Axton is able to place a turret on the battlefield that provides cover fire.
- Gaige – The Mechromancer (DLC)
- Gaige is able to summon a robot onto the battlefield that will harass enemies.
- Krieg – The Psycho(DLC)
- Kriegs is able to go into a rage mode and will smash everything that is in his way.
- Maya – The Siren
- Maya is able to ‘phaselock’ enemies, this will immobilize them for a short period.
- Salvador – The Gunzerker
- Salvador is able to wield 2 guns at the same time, doubling his damage output.
- Zero – The Assassin
- Zero can throw out a decoy as he will become invisible.