Medieval Skin Set 4:20
GBX Devotion 7:09
New Player Experience 8:35
Daily Quests 11:54
Incursion Training 13:58
Returning Player Experience 27:35
PS4 Pro + Xbox One S Support 28:38
New Command Menu UI 32:10
Marketplace Boosters / VIP Pass 40:42
Core Loot Pack / Economy 47:40
Story Mission Diamond Rank 56:20
Command + Character Rank 59:00
Character Balance 1:05:40
Capture Improvements 1:20:45
Meltdown: Finale 1:24:30
New Character Select Options 1:32:49
SHiFT Code 1:56:44
Future Content 1:58:00
Last week i wrote an article about how i think that Gearbox is working on Battleborn in order to boost the game to new heights. Well this week they are adding to that with a big news update. Because Battleborn will get a massive patch this winter and this is actually the biggest update Gearbox has ever done.
“I’ve been at Gearbox for 10 years and this is the craziest update we’ve ever done!” – Chris Brock – Producer on Battleborn
What, exactly, is so insane about the upcoming Battleborn features? There is something for everyone here – new and veteran players alike. A new, improved player experience loaded with modes that new players will love – and a load of slick refinements that our veteran players can get behind. Here’s a quick breakdown of what’s in store.
NEW PLAYER EXPERIENCE
Whether you’re new to the game or just want to hone your skills for multiplayer, Gearbox is adding several key features.
All 25 Core Characters Unlocked!
- 25 badass playable characters, no waiting! You’re eager to find your favorite, so get to it! With this update, the core 25 characters will be unlocked for all players after completing the Prologue.
- What about the character unlock challenges? These challenges now award a brand new skin upon completion! We’ve also adjusted several challenges to be more attainable.
Main Quests – Story Mode
- Story Mode missions will have more guides and tools to lead your through various areas of the game. The Credit rewards have also been boosted to help you get an early edge on loot packs
Two New Training Modes
- Incursion Tutorial: Incursion is one of Battleborn’s most poplair game types, but it’s also one that could use some direction. So build up your PVP skills and learn the key elements of competitive play in Battleborn. Your first play-through is solo, but this practice mode can be repeated with groups of up to three players. The training isn’t mandatory, but it’s encouraged to play.
- Dojo: Take each and every Battleborn hero for a test drive! Learn how to slice, dice, blast, smash, and rocket your way through waves of minions. You will start the Dojo at Level 5 so you have your ultimate unlocked and you will have 100000 shards so you have enough shards to buy stuff or activate your 3 legendary gear. The Dojo will have a quick leveling growth and every 40 seconds a new wave of minions spawn to test your skills.
RETURNING PLAYER ENHANCEMENTS
Gearbox has been talking to many players who have put hundreds of hours into the game. Whether you’re coming back for the second time or your two hundredth, we are all about replayability. They listened closely to the feedback, and made some big moves to continue keeping the Battleborn experience fresh for the players.
User Interface Changes:
- Battleborn’s user interface gets a major facelift. Cleaner, more vibrant, and much easier to find the information you need most. You’ll see UI changes throughout Battleborn, from the starting screen, to the Command center, character select, and even some menu changes.
- This is one of the most exciting new additions! In Draft Mode, teams and players take turns picking and banning characters trying to find the perfect match-ups and counters for what the other team is choosing.
Introducing Daily Quests:
- The action doesn’t end when you take down Rendain. Check back daily for new objectives and rewards across both Story Mode and Competitive Multiplayer Mode.
Command Rank and Character Rank Increase:
- Keep on growing your Command and Character ranks! We pushed the cap to 150 for Command Rank, and rank 20 for each character, with all-new rewards!
- Command Rank
- Increased to 150
- Loot Packs each rank (between 101 – 150)
- Legendary Packs and new Titles every 10 command ranks (between 101 – 150)
- Character Ranks
- Increased to 20 (Mastery is still at rank 15)
- New Titles at 17 (development name) and 20 (community influenced names and chibi art)
Updated In-game Economy:
- We’ve overhauled the Credits system and how loot packs are made available, particularly in Competitive Multiplayer matches. Credits will now accumulate faster in public PVP matches, making it easier to grab more loot packs from the Marketplace. But not for leavers – they are out of luck and will not receive any rewards. You see, nobody likes a quitter.
- Loot Packs: All loot pack variations will still drop in Story Mode missions, but only one type of loot pack will be available in the Marketplace: The Core Pack. The Core Pack has better odds for higher rarity gear and has a chance to drop any skin or taunt previously available in Faction packs.
- Boosts: A bigger variety of Boosts will become available for Platinum in the marketplace. Previously when you bought a booster it would apply directly. Now you can choose when to activate it.
- XP Booster: Gain additional experience points for a x-amount of time.
- Loot Booster: Gain increased loot drops for a x-amount of time.
- VIP PASS: Gain more credits and unlocks every DLC hero, skin, taunt and mutation for you and your party for a x-amount of time. Multiple VIPS Passes in your party will stack the credit boost.
PS4 Pro Support:
- Battleborn will also support PS4 Pro! PS4 Pro players will be able to choose between 1080p at 60fps or 4K at 30fps.
Full Patch Notes will be available once this update releases. and then will be added to the Patch/Hotfix Update archive page.
You won’t lose anything you’ve worked for! It will be a little odd, yeah, that now you get “Mastery” at Rank 15, and then can go further. There are other rewards in Ranks 16-20 though that will help you showoff.
Details this on the Thursday live stream. The Creative Director thinks it’s a much more rewarding system, but there are some changes he wants to talk us through.
The Creative Director don’t thinks they are going to talk much about gear on Thursday. They DID do a massive pass through legendaries, and there are a ton of fixes. You probably won’t get details on that until we release the novella that is our patch notes for the Winter Update.
If you have already completed those challenges (which you have if you’re past command rank 50) you’ll just have all the skins show up.
No mutations, this round. Our intent with increasing Command Rank and Character Rank is to let you keep advancing and unlocking rewards. Also note – those additional ranks are going to require significantly more experience than the previous ones.
No date has been announced yet, but it is hopefully fairly soon. Gearbox doesn’t want to keep us waiting for very long. The Patch is in certification at Sony & Microsoft, so once it gets approved by those parties they can launch the patch on all platforms.
There are a few characters that got some tuning, but nothing I’d quite call a rework. I’m sure there are other people who would disagree about that.
In short, yes. But let me divide the answer into two categories: server optimizations and performance optimizations.
The servers run in the infamous “cloud”. What that means, is we have a lot of control over what kind of servers the game is running on at any given time. GBX actually do a lot of sophisticated tuning to run certain modes on certain types of servers, even, to try to create better experiences.
GBX always looks to keep that service as smooth as possible. They are also trying (like every other developer) to keep it as cost-efficient as possible. GBX is monitoring the changes and listening to feedback, so hopefully they can continue to improve this.
For performance optimizations, there are another round of optimizations in this winter update. Not only are they supporting PS PRO, for example, but GBX did a lot of additional work to optimize the game throughout. The game should generally run better for most users.
If you used a key on any of the base 25 heroes, the key will be returned & can be used on heroes 26 – 30.