The Borderlands GOTY edition is going be released digitally for Windows PCs and Consoles, it will also get a physical release on consoles in the US & Canada. If you already own the game on steam you will be able to upgrade the game absolutely free.
On consoles, you can now play this game in 4 player split-screen. Xbox One X and PS4 Pro players can also enjoy this upgrade in 4K Ultra HD and High Dynamic Range (HDR). Gearbox Software and Blind Squirrel Games have improved the lighting, textures, and character models. All these improvements not only apply to the base game but also the add-on content.
Borderlands Game of the Year Content
- Borderlands [Base Game]:
- The original shooter-looter in all its visually remastered glory.
- The Zombie Island of Doctor Ned [DLC]:
- Enter the corporate-owned small town known as Jakobs Cove and put an end to the rumors of the walking “undead.” New areas, new missions, new enemies, oh my!
- Mad Moxxi’s Underdome Riot [DLC]:
- Celebrate the grand opening of Marcus Bank by taking on hundreds of foes in the only competitive arena around where you come back famous… or not at all.
- The Secret Armory of General Knoxx [DLC]:
- Want more of the Borderlands story and more loot than you could possibly figure out what to do with? Add new guns, missions, vehicles and more!
- Claptrap’s New Robot Revolution [DLC]:
- This destructive adventure invites you to battle a vicious new threat: a massive uprising of your former friends, the Claptraps.
Quality of Life Improvements
It looks like Gearbox has been listening to fan feedback and is also applying them to this game.
- Borderlands 1 is now also getting a Borderlands 2 style mini-map. The compass will still be there but you can now toggle a mini-map on and off.
- Inventory Management
- Managing your inventory items if a careful task because you don’t accidentally want to lose your most important items. Now you can lock badass weapons or mark the crappy ones as junk.
- Finally, items like ammo, money, and health are now being picked up automatically from the ground when you are nearby.
In case you are wondering:
- No badass rank – The devs wanted to keep the old vibe with weapon proficiency.
- Class Mod bonus – The skill trees still show a max of 5/5 bonus in the UI but stats will go beyond that.
- Trading – No trading interface or claptrap hidden stash.
- Censorship – There is just one version of Borderlands GOTY, so Germany is now also getting the uncut version.
- DLC Fast Travel – The DLC’s are still limited by the single fast travel point.
- FOV Slider – There is a field of view slider on all platforms.
The popular SHiFT Codes are also coming to Borderlands GOTY. So you will be able to redeem codes for Golden Keys and open up the Golden Chest. If you already have played Borderlands 2 or the Pre-Sequel on Xbox One, PS4, or PC, you will receive 75 FREE GOLDEN KEYS once you started your first new character. On top of that, you will also be granted two new weapons.
A new set of six legendary weapons will be added to the game. They will have their own custom skin. You can farm bosses or use golden keys for a chance to collect them all.
Overall the final boss in Borderlands 1 was a pushover. It depended on your loadout but a lot of people didn’t find the Destroyer very challenging. In Borderlands GOTY this is getting fixed. Prepare for an epic final showdown as the game’s final boss has been adjusted to be more engaging, challenging, and rewarding.
In the original game, you could only select a color scheme for your vault hunter. This time around you will be able to customize your character with new ‘heads’. These are available from the start of the game.
Borderlands GOTY will be available on April 3, 2019. PC users that already own the legacy game can upgrade for free. Because the game has never been released on the current generation of consoles (Xbox One & PS4) you can pick up the game for ~$30.-