Two weeks ago multiple media outlets and content creators were invited for a hands-on preview event for Redfall. There they were able to play the full game for 90min.
I watched a lot of previews and collected a few noteworthy impressions from the web that I believe you should check out.
The IGN video is here to get a quick impression, however, if you really want a deep dive into the game then check out the other hands-on previews.
Compact IGN Preview
I added the IGN preview because it gives you a quick overview of the top surface info.
Moxsy Hands-on Preview + Q&A
Fellow Borderlands creator, Moxsy, also got invited to the event and he has a great in-depth video that covers various aspects of the game. Moxsy also asked his community what they wanted to know and therefore he added a Q&A section at the end.
Noteworthy Take Aways
- Impressed by the natural open-world building
- Vampires can swarm you when triggered. Use Stealth to your advantage.
- A red bar fills up when you anger the gods. The Rook will appear when the bar is full.
- Killing the Rook can result in a legendary drop.
- Legendary Sniper reset, Raven ability cooldown on Jacob.
- Enemies marked by the Raven take increased damage from all sources.
- Shooting while remaining cloaked is an upgrade. Shots while cloaked do more damage but reduce the time you are cloaked.
- Nests have random modifiers that mix up the challenge in that Psychic Space.
- You need to use Incendiary, Lightning, UV, or Stake weapons to take down Vampires. If you don’t use a stake on a Vampire they will come back.
- Ammo is scarce throughout the game so loot the environment.
- No health regeneration initially, you need to use your limited number of Med-kits.
- Legendary/Gold gear is called Unrivaled
- Capstone skills require other skills on top of the point cost.
- The game doesn’t pause when going into your inventory while playing solo.
- Respec unlocks at LVL10 but you don’t have to worry too much about it as you are likely to unlock the majority of the skills.
- You can only add Stakes to guns, there is no gun crafting that lets you alter the sight or silencer.
- Materials: Oil, Water, and Tape are used as a currency.
- The AI of the cultist enemies is less advanced than the Vampire AI.
- The preview version of the game had some frame-rate issues but optimizations are still being worked on.
MrMatty Honest Opinion
MrMattyPlays always has these elaborate videos that go into every aspect of the game.
- Jakob Stealth Skill upgrade adds more armor.
- Interesting Fallout comparison.
- Probably is going to play on Hard mode at launch
- Enjoyed his time with Redfall
- Mixed feelings about enemy AI
- Frame-Rate drops in the preview build
- What type of game is Redfall?
- What is the tone of the game?
- Are there horror elements and jumpscares?
- Which character did you play and what did you like?
- Is your playstyle locked in by the character and skill tree?
- What makes each player unique?
- Is there banter between the characters and are there cool Vampire references in the game?
- Can you pet the crow?
- How big is the map?
- Can you enter all the buildings?
- How does verticality play into the game?
- Is the level design on par with previous Arkane games?
- Are there crazy puzzles?
- Does the world feel dense/alive?
- How is the enemy variation?
- Was there an incentive to play stealth?
- How was the difficulty?
- How was the loot?
- How does the game compare to other Arkane games?
- Remi’s ultimate skill is Mobile and heals nearby enemies.
- Bribón can be upgraded to do AoE damage.
- Each playable character has different opinions or interactions throughout the game.
- You can’t pet Bribón
- ~3 Cultist per Vampire
- Difficulty Levels: Daylight, Dusk, Midnight, and Eclipse.
Check out my Redfall Wiki if you want to be informed about the game.