Revenge of the Cartels
At PAX East, Gearbox Software and 2K Games revealed the new Borderlands 3 Roadmap showing off all the new content that we are getting this spring. In April we can play the Revenge of the Cartels Seasonal Event. Just like the Bloody Harvest, this new event will be adding a new map, new missions, and event-specific weapons. Anthony Nicholson mentioned on IGN that Revenge of the Cartels Event will be ’80s Miami Vice-type style themed. This is a limited-time event and will add cartel operatives to the Borderlands 3 universe. You will need to hunt down them down and kill them to earn unique rewards.
You’ll have to eliminate key operatives stationed around the galaxy so Maurice can open a portal to a new hideout area where the Cartel has set up shop. The enemies you’ll encounter on the other side of the portal will change based on which division of the Cartel you’re up against. – Borderlands.com
Seasonal Event Update
During Episode 6 of the Borderlands Show, we received additional information about ‘Revenge of the Cartels’. Maurice is in trouble, debt collectors of Joey Ultraviolet are coming for him and you need to help him out. Therefore you need to hunt down these cartel operatives. You can recognize them by the neon armor pieces they carry. When you attack these cartel operatives, they will call in reinforcements that even can include mini-bosses. If you eliminated enough operatives, Maurice will be able to open up a portal and provide access to the Cartel hideout.
The Cartel Mansion is a new map and will be guarded by 3 different divisions. Each time you will ambush the Mansion a different division will protect Joey Ultraviolet. This way you never know what type of enemies and mini-bosses you will be encountering. But where there’s a risk, there are rewards. In the Revenge of the Cartels Seasonal Event, you will be able to earn new loot and some of that loot is tied to the specific divisions you will be facing off against. This should make this event highly replayable.
Revenge of the Cartels Loot
During your 6 weeks playing ‘Revenge of the Cartels’, you will be able to find new legendary loot that can only be obtained during this seasonal event. There will be 7 new legendary weapons, 2 new shields, and 1 Grenade Mod. One of the new weapons is the O.P.Q. System. This Assault Rifle shoots an auto-firing copy of itself that will target whatever you’re looking at.
There will also be new anoints for your gear. Gearbox Software previously stated that they will be adding 12 new Anointments. This will trigger bonuses when you first activate your Action Skill. It sounds like these could be useful for Zane if you are running an infinite action skill duration build.
Revenge of the Cartels Challenges
- Mr. Good: Stuff Defeat Joey Ultraviolet in Mayhem 1 or greater.
- Pupsicles: Kill 30 CryptoSec Frontrunners with Cryo damage.
- Can’t Touch This: Kill Joey Ultraviolet without taking damage from laser traps and corrosive traps.
- That’s Grape Candy: Smash 500 Eridium dust piles.
- Every Mansion Needs a Puzzle: Solve the hidden puzzle in the Ultraviolet mansion.
- Marking Your Territory: Find and use all golden toilets in the Ultraviolet mansion before you leave.
- M-M-M-Mobsterkill: Kill 800 Cartel gang members.
- Six Feet Underbosses: Kill 50 Cartel Underbosses.
- Locked in Here with Me: Kill 6 Underbosses in one map playthrough.
- Mayhaps Mayhem: Will Help Kill 25 Underbosses in Mayhem 1 or greater.
- Never Slap a Slapper: Kill Fish Slap with a slap (melee damage).
- Seasoning in the Wound: Kill the Tenderizer while he is healing himself.
- Penetration Testing: Kill Franco Firewall with his own Crypto Spikes.
- Sack Tap: Shoot 25 meat sacks off Burnt Ends Gang members.
- And Your Lunch Money: Shoot 25 backpacks off Purpatrators Gang members.
- The King of Purple: Defeat Joey Ultraviolet.
- Three Minutes of PLAAAYTIME! Defeat Joey Ultraviolet in under 3 minutes.
- Flawless Victory: Complete the Revenge of the Cartels mission without dying.
Revenge of the Cartels Challenge Rewards
Completing challenges will unlock various cosmetic items. These are the items you can unlock.
- 3 Challenges: ‘VECH-tor Graphics’ ECHO Device Skin
- 6 Challenges: ‘Retro Outrunner’ Weapon Trinket
- 10 Challenges: ‘Framed Firewall’ Room Decoration
- 14 Challenges: ‘Hotline Pandora’ Vault Hunter Head
- 18 Challenges: ‘Death by Filigrees’ Vault Hunter Skin
Revenge of the Cartels Facts
- Starts: April 23
- Runtime: 6 Weeks, till June 4
- Toggleable: Yes, you can enable/disable the event.
- Objective: Hunt down operatives with neon armor pieces. Travel to the Mansion to takedown Joey Ultraviolet.
- New Map: Yes, Cartel Mansion.
- Exclusive Loot: Yes; 2 New Guns, 1 shield for each division, 12 new anointed parts.
- Challenges: Yes, unlock various cosmetic items.
- Bandit faction (The Burnt Ends – dead collectors will collect your meat if you don’t pay your depts)
- Tech faction (CryptoSec – cyborg bounty hunters)
- Tiny faction (shrunken enemies, not tinks) (The Purpatrators – they will collect your Eridian dust)