The current max level in Borderlands 3 is capped at level 72. When you reach the maximum level cap, you won’t gain any experience points (XP) that count towards your character’s level progression. Therefore, you won’t be able to unlock new skill points beyond that point. You will keep getting XP that counts towards your Guardian Rank. This is an infinite progression system that allows you to buff your Vault Hunter’s stats and unlock special rewards.
Borderlands 3 Max Level
- LVL 50 – At Launch, September 13th, 2019, just like every other Borderlands game.
- LVL 53 – Since the February 13th, 2020 patch, you are able to level up to level 53 just 1 skill point short to reach 2 capstones.
- LVL 57 – Since the March 26th, 2020 patch, you are able to level up to level 57. This free update was in conjunction with the release of DLC2: Guns, Love, and Tentacles.
- LVL 60 – Since the June 25th, 2020 patch, you are able to level up to level 60. This free update was in conjunction with the release of DLC3: Bounty of Blood.
- LVL 65 – Since September 10, 2020, you are able to level up to LVL 65. This free update is in conjunction with the release of DLC4: Psycho Krieg and the Fantastic Fustercluck DLC.
- LVL 72 – Since June 24, 2021, you are able to level up to LVL 72. This free update came alongside Crossplay, permanent events, and a ton of tweaks.
Can You Max all Skill Trees in Borderlands 3?
No, you have a total of 70 skill points to spend. This means that there aren’t enough skill points to max out all the skill trees. However, you are able to obtain 2 capstone skills. These are the final skills at the bottom of a skill tree. You do need to focus on going down the tree in order to reach this. Therefore, you cannot max out a lot of different skills in each tree.
Will the Level Cap Increase?
There are currently no new announcements from Gearbox Software nor 2K Games that the level cap will increase any further. However, Graeme Timmins, GBX developer who is the Lead of the Borderlands 3 Live Team, has mentioned that it’s nice to have a level cap increase with a new piece of content.
How to reach the Max Level?
When you play through the main story campaign of Borderlands 3 your character is probably somewhere around level 32. At that point, there are a couple of things you can do.
You can hop into the Slaughter Domes and defeat waves of enemies that are scaled at your level. As you continue to level up, so will your enemies.
Or you can hunt down the Proving Grounds. These are like mini raids that you run. Each Proving Ground has its own theme of enemies. This is a great place to get some legendary class mods.
You can activate Mayhem Mode. This lets you scale up the enemies and add gameplay modifiers to your play session.
Or you can jump into True Vault Hunter Mode. This is like a ‘NEW GAME+’, you can replay the game again with increased difficulty.
My recommendation: Once you completed the main story campaign, I would activate Mayhem Mode and set it to Mayhem Level 1 (M1). Pick a fun modifier like “Lootsplosion” to increase your loot. Go and complete the remaining side quest and hunt down the Proving Grounds. When you reached the Max Level, I would check out some of the awesome character builds and dive into one of the Takedowns. When you want a bigger challenge you can increase the Mayhem difficulty. There is exclusive Mayhem LVL4+ gear and Mayhem LVL6+ gear. The higher the Mayhem difficulty tier the more likely your loot will be anointed, with a 100% drop chance at Mayhem 8+.
The fastest way to reach the Max Level?
I have a complete guide on how to level up fast. You can use gear or increase the Mayhem difficulty to boost your XP Gain. Farming bosses for legendary gear is also awesome because you will get a lot of XP and legendary weapons. A good location to farm for XP is Eden-6, go and fight the Psychobillies. If you can DLC1, the Handsome Jackpot, you can farm the scraptraps. Check this guide for an in-depth walkthrough.
Best Character Builds
As you level up your character, you want to create an awesome build that swiftly destroys your opponents. Because as your character level increases so will the difficulty of the game. Therefore you need to build that erases your enemies.