In this Borderlands 3 Guide, I’m going to tell you who to beat Wotan the Invincible solo. I’ll go over the various phases of the battle and provide you with tactics on how you can defeat him. Wotan the Invincible is the first raid boss in Borderlands 3. He is a part of the Maliwan Takedown, a free DLC that takes you to the Maliwan Blacksite. Takedowns are Gearbox Software’s take on Raids. This content is designed to be super challenging, therefore, you need to bring your A-game. Originally the Maliwan Takedown was designed for 4 players at the max level cap. However, since the February 2020 patch, Gearbox Software scaled the content accordingly to your party size. This way everyone has a fighting chance. That said you can still enable ‘true takedown mode’ which increases the challenge to 4 player difficulty regardless. Don’t worry the right character build and this strategy guide I’m sure you can do it.
- Best Weapons Against Wotan the Invincible
- How to Beat Wotan the Invincible
- General Tips
- Phase 1 – Single Shield
- Phase 2 – Rotating Shield
- Phase 3 – Double Shielded
- Phase 4 – Multi-Vector Assault Mode
- Legendary Loot
- Mayhem Mode 4 Loot
Best Weapons Against Wotan the Invincible
In order to ‘takedown’ Wotan, you want your character to be completely leveled up. Next, you want to bring the best weapons. In this guide, I have summed up the best weapons to beat the Maliwan Takedown. Basically, you want to bring badass Shock and Corrosive weapons because Wotan has a shield and armor. Having anointed gear really helps out as these perks can significantly boost your damage output.
- The Cutsman is still one of the best legendary weapons in the game and great for defeating bosses. While the projectiles move pretty slow they do have a great spread and deal massive damage. The Cutsman can be obtained from any loot source but has a high chance of dropping from Borman Nates who is located in the Merdian Outskirts on Promethea.
- Since that the Lob received a buff, this Torgue shotgun has been on the top of every tier list. The Lob has become a replacement for the Cutsman as it comes te erasing enemies and bosses. This Torgue Shotgun shoots slow-moving elemental orbs that can pass through enemies while dealing massive damage. The Lob can be randomly obtained from any loot source but it has a high chance of dropping from Graveward who is located in The Floating Tomb on Eden-6.
- The Brainstormer isn’t as powerful as a Shock Cutsman but its special legendary effect can help you out during the fight. When Wotan is shielded you can shoot nearby enemies and create chain lightning between the enemy and Wotan. This way you can bypass the shield and chip away at his health gauge.
- The Electric Banjo is an artifact that provides the same special effect as the Brainstormer but applies it to every weapon.
- With the release of DLC2, the Anarchy has been wrecking Wotan. Some of the prominent Borderlands 3 players manage to defeat Wotan so fast that he doesn’t get time to change places to execute his phases properly.
- The Tigg’s Boom is another weapon that lets you bypass Wotan’s shielded phase. Because when you use the jump pads to fly up in the air you can use the meteor strike from the Tigg’s Boom to penetrate Wotan’s shield. That said you first need to defeat Wotan in order to obtain this weapon.
Alchemist + Transformer Combo
- You can use the Alchemist in combination with the Transformer Shield. The Algomist is a pretty strong weapon, however, it deals shock damage to yourself as well. Therefore, you want to pair this with the Transformer shield. This way you can deal excellent damage and restore your shield at the same time.
How to Beat Wotan the Invincible
The name Wotan translates to Odin in German. Odin appears as a prominent god throughout the recorded history of the Germanic peoples. Like the name and title suggest Wotan is a tough boss to defeat. Throughout the fight, he will go through multiple phases. Each phase will throw new challenges your way. Wotan has 2 main attacks that will continue throughout the fight:
- Missile Barrage: Wotan will unleash multiple rockets into the sky that will target your current location. The location of the impact is highlighted by red circles on the ground. Stay clear of these red circles and keep moving during this segment of the fight.
- Laser shots: Wotan will fire multiple laser shots. These are hard to evade, therefore, it’s best to hide behind cover. Wotan can only target 1 player at the time, so having a buddy helps out.
- The key to staying alive is to keep moving.
- You can take cover behind the various objects and takedown the additional troops that have entered the fight.
- Shoot through the gaps of his shield to damage him.
- Use Shock weapons for his (blue) Shield gauge.
- Use Corrosive weapons for his (yellow) Armor gauge.
Phase 1 – Single Shield
In the first phase of the fight, Wotan will be behind a single shield. Shoot through the gaps of his shield to deal damage. You’ll need to take down Wotan’s shields with Shock weapons. Once you have done that you will need to damage his Armor with Corrosive weapons. If you managed to bring down his Armor Gauge to 75% the next phase will commence. At the start of the fight, some Maliwan troopers will spawn next to Wotan. You can easily target them with the Brainstormer and deal damage to the troopers and Wotan.
Phase 2 – Rotating Shield
In the second phase of the fight, Wotan will take cover behind a rotating shield. There is a vertical opening in it so that you can shoot through it. It’s better to run and find the opening than to stand still and wait for it to appear. But before you go up against Wotan, you better first take care of the Valkyries. These are “tiny” versions of the Valkyrie Squad you encountered earlier during the Maliwan Takedown. These tiny versions can be phaselocked. Once you have taken them out or at least a few of them, you can go for Wotan’s shield. Once you have broken it he will start to jump around the arena. If you managed to bring down his Armor Gauge to 50% the next phase will commence.
Phase 3 – Double Shielded
In the third phase of the fight, Wotan will summon 2 shields. This is the last time where he will take cover behind his shields. Because Wotan has 2 shields you will also have to take down 2 shield bars in order to expose him. You can go inside Wotan’s outer shields without taking any damage. Once inside you, you will need to find the vertical opening in the inner shield again in order to damage him. If you have taken down his first shield bar the vertical opening will close off and you will need to attack Wotan from above.
Go to one of the nearby pillars and travel upstairs through the center. Now you can attack Wotan as you will see that he is not shielded from above. However, be aware that once you have broken Wotan’s outer shield he will summon Kraken and Thor. These two robots function similarly to Wotan, so it’s advised to take them out as quickly as possible. If you managed to bring down his Armor Gauge to 25% the next phase will commence.
Phase 4 – Multi-Vector Assault Mode
In the fourth phase of the fight, Wotan will split into two. Something I like to call Multi-Vector Assault Mode (Yes, from that Star Trek Voyager episode, Message in a Bottle). You will have to take on Wotan’s lower part and ‘Wotan’s Better Half’. You will need to take down both parts in order to complete the takedown. It’s better to first defeat Wotan’s upper body that’s flying around. As he will more dangerous than the lower part. Because the upper section of his body isn’t shielded you can directly start firing with your Corrosive weapons.
Wotan’s lower section does have a shield, therefore, you will need to start with a Shock weapon. Keep an eye out on the missile barrage. Once you stripped his shied, the lower part will start jumping around. Because he is lighter, he will be faster. Every time the lower body lands on the ground he will send out energy orbs in all directions. This is similar to the encounter you had with Troy Calypso during his boss battle (PS. there is a legendary grenade mod called the Epicenter that has the same effect). However, you can easily avoid this energy orbs by navigating between them. If the initial impact isn’t close to you the orbs will spread out more and more the further they travel.
When you defeated this Invincible Raid boss you will see Wotan’s Brain run away from the lower body. Take it out in order to get an extra legendary. Each part of Wotan the Invincible has an 18% drop chance and can drop the following legendary loot.
Mayhem Mode 4 Loot
You can obtain these legendary items in the Maliwan Takedown while playing on Mayhem Mode 4 or higher. Each of Wotan’s parts has about an 8% chance to drop any of the Mayhem 4 items.